Thursday 20 November 2008

Mee Wah Take away and look for advice.

I was at Uni late the other night, trying desperately to get my desk resembling something useful, as opposed to a large pile of misc. I left around 6, mentally going through the fridge and the myriad of leftovers trying to decide what I wanted. Nothing took my fancy, so I went Chinese.
Now Mee Wah as a resturant is lovely - as a takeaway - EXPENSIVE. However the food comes from the same kitchen and tastes just as good.
I ordered a large fried rice and the Imperial Lamb which was $29. For me its the little things that make the difference - such as the fact they packaged the pancakes and the lamb for the Imperial serperately so that they didnt get soggy.
The Imperial Lamb was gorgeous - though I am not sure if it was worth $20. Four mandarin pancakes, and a large chinese container worth of spiced lamb with a thick sauce. The sauce had definate hints of oyster and soy in it, as well as garlic and something else which I could not quite put my finger on.
The fried rice was the standard rice with prawns, shallots and I THINK it was chicken in it. Very filling and yummy - I am still eating the left overs of this as the lamb filled me up. I drove from Sandy Bay to West Moonah and the meal was still hot when I got home.
Would I go back for just that as takeaway? Probably not unless I was working late at Uni and had to head back - however I suspect with a little judicious choice you could get quite good value out of the Mee Wah takeaway menu.

I'm off up the East coast next week for a writing retreat to break either my brain or my thesis. Am staying near St Marys - want some good recommendations for places for lunch as its going to be my main meal and break of the day.

Montys for dinner on Saturday - stay tuned!

3 comments:

Bess Swinton said...

It's good to know the food has had some great reviews! I am heading there tomorrow night with my Chinese class; I'm a little put off by the price, but if it is yummy that's what counts :-)
Good luck with your thesis!

Anonymous said...

the fact that you are at uni and can't spell disturbs me very much

S*itface said...

I f*ckin Love Me Wah. For me its the worlds best service out of all the countrys i've crossed. the are 2nd to none with their fantastic dished they have to offer, its worth every penny.