Tuesday 5 August 2008

Here goes.....

Righto this is from memory - Nat is waaay to organised and has taken down the menu already.

1st Course was Snails 2 ways - one in the shell with garlic butter, and one in a lovely filo pastry with I think it was Tongola goats cheese. I love snails so gobbled them down - I prefered the one in garlic butter, but the other half liked the tiny pastry. Either way it was a good way to start.

2nd course - Quail kiev with quail rissotto held together with pancetta. This was early running to be my favourite dish of the evening. The rissotto was amazing, I seriously could have gobbled a huge big bowl of it and not eaten anything else. Perfectly plump rice with a lovely subtle flavour from the quail and a slight saltyness from the pancetta. The kiev was interesting, it was a boned quail with the tiniest amount of cheese in it, just enough to give it flavour. This is on their August menu and rightfully so - its a lovely mixture of textures and flavours, without any one being overpowering.

3rd course - was Pork. Lovely yummy scrumptious Lee Christmas pork belly, with crackling and BLACK SAUSAGE! Though it was under some fancy name. I'll admit, this is the first time I have eaten black sausage and it was really yummy. It looked very dry, but was quite moist when you cut into it.

4th course - was duck 2 ways. A lovely flavoursome duck liver parfait served with pinot noir jelly and duck rillette. We both found the rillette a little oily, but the parfait and jelly was an inspired combination on crispy bits of toast. I wanted more - both on parfait and the toast. The other half, who doesnt particularly like pate type textures refused to share, so I suspect that means he liked it.

Then was the long break to reset the tables and let everyone stretch their legs etc. We ended up in the bar with our backs to the open fire geting lovely and warm while having a long convaluted chat with a group of four people about family at Christmas, laser eye surgery and something else which escapes my memory at this point in time.

The 5th course was slow cooked Navarin of ‘Rivendale’ Boer Goat with root veggies and barrel aged fetta cheese. This was a lovely rich meaty stew type dish, and the cheese added a lovely salty tang to the sauce. It was served in a cassarole type dish, which was nice, but made getting the yummy juice out very hard!

6th Course was the wallaby tortellini with wallaby consumme, truffle oil and reggiano snow (also on the Aug menu). This was THE dish of the night for me. The edge of the tortellini was a little dry but other than that the mixture of textures and tastes was amazing. I actually asked for a spoon to get all the consumme out it was soooo good. Lovely soft meat, the bite of the pasta and the enhancement of the taste through the consumme made for the most amazing meal. I could have quite happily finished here and gone home content.

7th Course - mini roast of Nichols rivulet organic porterhouse with a beef cheek jus + yorkshire pudding. This was nice, though the beef was a tiny bit pink for me, but any less pink and it wouldn't have melted in the mouth. The jus was lovely and the yorkshire pudding, while not hot proved a perfect sop for the juices.

8th Course - Desert!! twice cooked blue cheese soufflé with double chocolate ice cream. The ice cream was absolutely decadent. Rich, creamy and oh so chocolatey. The souffle was yummy too - though I think it could have been slightly more cheesy. Its interesting to note that my taste buds/tongue can do the flavours this way around but CANT do the blue cheese ice cream chocolate pudding way.

Anyhow I unfortunately was battling the edge of a migraine for some reason by this time, so we skipped out very quickly after coffees. The surprise dish was the apple jellies they served as after desert snacks. VERY yummy.

So thats that. Next one is October, which I will probably go to with Dad as Stephen dont like Seafood that much.
Sorry its taken so long to post, I;ve been in Perth and stuff.

2 comments:

Rita said...

If you were going on memory, TG, you kick arse with me! No way could I have remembered such detail about food, even if it had been immediately following the meal! It sounds truly delicious and adventurous food from the Starkeys. Seafood for the next one, eh? Now that I could seriously tackle!

Tassiegal said...

Well Stephen managed to find an original menu, and that coupled with what I knew was going on the August menu helped!! But the food as usual was great....