Sunday 11 April 2010

Passata

This weekend has not been so good. I worked yesterday (which IS good), but came home at 2pm feeling light headed, queasy and generally blergh. Slept for 15 hours last night and after SOMETHING went straight through me I feel slightly better.
Well enough infact to make Passata with the last of the tomatos from the 3 bushes I have had growing in pots in the front bed.
Now I know technically you should follow recipes and stuff, but I didnt have that many tomatos left (I didnt weight them, but I suspect there ws about 3/4 of a kg) so couldnt be arsed halving or quartering the quantaties of the recipes I found online - so I winged it.
I cut all the red tigrellas in half, drizzled olive oil on them and sprinkled salt on them. Bunged them into a pre heated 220C oven for about 2o minutes with 4 cloves of garlic. Took the tiny yellow grape tomatoes and dumped them straight into the pot with some olive oil. Heated them up slowly, and then dumped the roasted tomatoes into the pot as well and slowly stirred. Added 2 pinches of castor sugar, 5 bay leaves from the tree outside, and a generous wack of left over ground mustard seeds. Left it to simmer for about 15 minutes then came back and stirred it all again. Left it to simmer for another couple of minutes while I stuck a fairly small jar in the oven to dry. Poured the resultant mixture into a sieve and worked it through to remove skins and seeds etc. Put the bay leaves back in, stirred for a few minutes until desired thickness reached. Poured into small vegeimite jar and a small plastic container. Container went into freezer for when I just need a daub of sauce, jar got a lid and is sitting on the bench cooling before joining the relish and cherries in the food cupboard. It tastes pretty good, but is probably only enough for 1 pizza!

3 comments:

Tassiegal said...

Simauma - I dont link to blogs that I can't read. I am sure you are a great writer, but my Japanese never got much further than Konnichiwa.

Cars for sale said...

I used to cooked only with natural tomatoes but then discovered certain Passata tetrabrik that are very good. But most of them are very acidic.. Not good... i would like to know if anybody has some suggestions?

Jay said...

Great blog, and thanks for all your hard work.

cheap canvas prints