Wednesday 19 May 2010

Food things I wish we had in Hobart.....

1. A shop that sells Koeksisters.
2. Food Connect - my mum subscribes to them and in the week I have been here we have had the most amazing fruit and vegies. The custard apple I ate the other night was something from heaven. Sweet and sugary around the skin, and soft, gooey and gorgeous in the centre. A cross between candied oranges and pineapple we fought over the last bits. For $48 for a week mum yesterday got what was called a gourmet box. In it was potatoes, tomatoes, chinese greens, a MASSIVE bunch of basil, spring onions, manadrins, oranges, lemons, bananas, avocados, lettuce, turnip, beetroot, banana and some other things. All fresh and straight from the farmers. She says that she is eating more fruit and vegies now then ever before. The brocoli last night was so crisp and fresh my mate JJ and I were standing at the serving bar eating it straight out of the microwave container with a bit of butter - and I usually avoid broccoli. $30 gets you a mini mixed box which has slightly less in it, but is made for one person. The other week mum got a whole vanilla pod (fresh and organic) and she has lemons and lemonade fruit coming out her ears.

I know I can get most things @ the farmers market on Sundays (and I always have to lug up Pork Rillettes, terrine, bacon and ham from Ross and Matthew for mum), but I have forgotten how much choice of food we actually get in the sub tropics which we dont get down south. I highly doubt any farmers around Tasmania will be growing dragon fruit any time soon. All of the food connect food is sourced within 5 hours of Brisbane which is pretty damn good if you ask me. Food connect just seems a great way for people who may not have the time or inclination to go to the markets, but want good quality fresh food.

3. Red Rooster - I know legs and Breast is similar but I have a very bad weakness for the Rooster roll of which the L&B equivalent just isn't the same.

But honestly thats about it. I love the fact that in Hobart I CAN easily get to a farmers market without battling for parking (which is the case up here with the Organic market on Sundays). I love that 30 minutes drive out of town are orchards that give me lovely fresh apples and pears. I love the fact I CAN eat predominately local and not have to limit myself. I love the fact I can avoid Coles and Woolies unless I need loo paper or dish washing liquid or stuff like that.
All in all, although I LOVE Brisbane, and it will always be home to me in some way, Tassie (and Hobart especially) is also home. Home by my standards. So as I fly home on Saturday afternoon, I will plan what I want from the markets this week, and get up on Sunday to buy, and taste and LIVE each moment. Then I will come home and FINISH THE DAMN THESIS!

4 comments:

Jo in TAS said...

I craved Red Rooster too when I moved to Hobart. I had it recently on a trip to Sydney and the Chicken Roll doesn't have the same flavour I liked, I was so dissappointed!

Jo in TAS said...

PS Forgot to say I'm an ex-Brissie Girl myself :-)

Hungry? City Guides said...

Same with here in our country (Russia). I love food tripping especially on those city dining restaurants!

large canvas said...

That's awesome, such great food out there!