Sunday 27 June 2010

Why I love the Farmers market - reason #692

Yeah well not really reason #692 but you get the idea.
Today for 50 odd dollars I got a whole weeks worth of meals - essentially all already made and all I have to do is reheat.
I have beetroot gnocchi and ragu along with Gluten Free lasagna, goat pie, falafeal and kale. This is enough for at least a week when you consider the lasagna is two meals, as is the gnocchi. The falafeal will be used as a crust on a roast, and the kale will be turned into chips. The pies were a 2 pack for 7 dollars, but I ate the mushroom and goat pie for lunch - it was really good, with big bits of goat, peas and a lovely creamy layer of mushrooms under the top. Talking to the people selling it they admitted that its the one item they find hard to keep in stock as they keep eating them!
The farmers markets are smaller than they are in summer, but you can still get lovely things there. I have noticed as its got colder there are more people selling "meal" type things than fresh fruit and vegies themselves. Last week I got bletted medlars, which are amazing and I wanted more this week but the girl I bought them off wasnt there...I hope she is there next week!

In other cooking adventures I made Potato Potage tonight and wonders never cease it looked like the picture!!! Everything in it except for the stock and thyme I bought at the farmers market in Melville street over the last couple of weeks. I overdid the bacon bones (I used a 500g Ham hock I bought off Matt and Ross a couple of weeks ago along with the bones Ross gave me today), and substituted the celery with white radish from the asian grocers from Campania. Other than that it was the recipe and it was really yummy and filling. Ate it with a couple of bread rolls from Zum while watching Dr Who. Made enough for 2 meals tonight and 3 meals to go into the freezer and minimal washing up as well which is good.

Am heading to The Beachhouse for netball lunch on Friday - should be interesting to say the least. Will report back, am unsure if its a set menu or we just order...I do know there is going to be LOTS of people there!!

In other news, my attempts to get up to Terraces in Lonnie to try the freefall menu may finally be paying off. Tournament of Minds in in Lonnie this year and as I will probably be adjudicating, so will head up a day early and treat myself. Only however if I have a completed first draft of the dratted thesis. I should do as I only have the discussion, intro and conclusion left to write. So all going to plan it will be submitted by november and I will have to be a grownup and get a real job......oh dear. Oh well, it will pay for my cheese and decent dining addiction.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi tassiegal .., you still in tasmania . need some help. would you be able to give us some tips of the food / restaurant .. more to seafood , in hobart, bicheno, launceston

smile : k fung fung

Tassiegal said...

sure can. Will do a post in the next day or two for you.

Think Tasmania said...

Hi Tassiegal

We went to the Farmers Market a few weeks ago and had some amazing soup. Even the kids loved it (being loaded with vegetables I found that a tad surprising!!)

Thanks for the tip about pre-prepared meals. Great idea (saves me doing ALL the work).

Cheers, Tania

Heartfire At Home said...

Hi Tassiegal!

Thanks for popping by and entering my comp. Good luck(your confession is safe with me!).

I love, love, love farmers' markets too, and must get off my backside more often and go to the main one we have here in Ballarat around the lake. It's only held once a month though, and I seem to miss it every time due to other committments.

My diet has rapidly deteriorated over the last few months due to being super busy, and having some great meals like that to turn to would be great time wise and health wise.

Linda. xox

Food Review said...

We have great Farmer's Market's here in the northwest. They thrive because people miss that type of atmosphere and business. It's all been to corporatist and need to roll back in sections and have more community marketplaces.

Mohka said...

Great news, thanks a lot for sharing this with us!

Golden Sun Restaurant said...

I love fresh produce from our local farmer's market too. I used to go there very early in the morning until I got too busy managing a Chinese Restaurant in Capalaba area. These days, I only go during the weekend.