Wednesday 23 January 2008

Pecora - 13th Jan 2007

Number of People: 2
Cost: $114 including 2 alcoholic beverages.
Rating: 4/5 on the lunch scale.
Pros: Lovely simple menu, the view
Cons: Dust from the wind, serving sizes, beer selection

What we ate:
yours truely:
The risotto balls (Arancini alla ragu), New season garlic soup with smoked eel and summer savory and a cherry, sheep's curd and pistachio praline sponge along with 2 cordials and a hot chocolate.
The other half: arancini alla ragu, the carne (pork belly with something), chocolates, cappacino, a beer and a glass of the house wine.

We both had the Arancini alla ragu which came out on silver platters with a small piece of baking paper under them to catch any excess oil. Three good sized risotto balls, covered in crunchy crumbs and topped with a small amount of veal ragu (which I would have quite easily eaten as a meal by itself). This was quite large and if I had known this I would have only order this and desert.
My garlic soup was lovely - I didn't however realise it was a cold soup, so got a little bit of a surprise on the first spoon! It was not overly garlicky but had a lovely texture and taste to it. The smoked eel really added to the flavour. It was however VERY rich, so I only managed about 2/3rds of the serving.
The desert was massive and I ended up taking most of it home for a snack the next day. Lovely mixture of tastes and textures however, and I hope they keep it on the menu.
I am still not enamoured with their hot chocolates, large bowls, never really hot and not that chocolatey. The home made cordials on the the other hand - OMG! I really wish they would sell these, they are so flavoursome. I had a choice of three, Plum, clove and brown sugar, elderflower (I think) and another one that had rhubarb in. I had the plum and the rhubarb and both were very refreshing.
SO's meal was nice, though his pork belly apparently wasnt as nice as it could have been (the ratio of meat to fat was a little off).

Verdict: I love Pecora, and think its a pity so many people stop at Peppermint Bay and do not go any further. My only BIG gripe is that when its windy you get all the fine dust from the car park and fields blowing up, and landing on your glasses etc. However we were there on a very breezy day and the actual verandah wasnt drafty at all thanks to some well placed glass slides. Pecora seems to be the "money" spot at the moment - car cost estimate when we were there approx 1/2 a mill (a porsche 4WD, a merc, a new BMW, an Alfa Romeo and a convertible of some sort).

Next review: Divinge at Cygnet

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm quite envious of of your experience at Pecora..tried to go there monday, but they had a function on. I love smoked eel and think that anything with wonderful tassie garlic sounds divine. we lunched at the divine divinge on Friday. I loved it and am midway through my posting on it also. so it will be interesting to compare. I had a lovely foodie trip to tassie and like you spending time playing with this new toy rather than writing things like annual reports and management plans.
It's a strange new world and just a little addictive. No-one has posted a comment tho' I do waffle on a bit.
It is a while since I have written just for fun, so i'm enjoying it just for me. Bet you will beat me to the post. Good luck with your blog. You write well.

Anonymous said...

i agree with the gripe about the exposure to the elements, for me it's the odor of the (while entertaining and cheese producing) sheep! also it would be nice if the Grandvewe part of the complex intergrated a little better with the Pecora part. The cheese people need to lift their game and come to the party, being more organised, better presented (if Katrina and the other girls can wear a nice black shirt the so can the cheese people) and welcome people who walk in asking if they are there for cheese or Pecora...
I would however like so sing the praises of Grandvewe. Their cheese is wonderful and for all the rave reviews of Pecora we never read about the best cheeses made in the state. The cheese maker is obviously very talented and i think more praise is long overdue!

Tassiegal said...

Beachsands - Thank you for your comments - much appreciated. Whats the link to your blog? (I'm always looking for links to distract me!)

Anon - the odour doesnt bother me (I suspect because I worked in a Vets surgery for a couple of years). Funny every time I have been to Grandvewe/Pecora the girls at Grandvewe have all being wearing similar outfits (generally jeans and a grandvewe shirt). My big grump is that Pecora cant sell the cheese platters, you have to go inside to organise that.