Wednesday 31 March 2010

Update on being Domestic

I mentioned earlier this month that I had been pickling cherries and making tomoato relish. The relish took FOREVER to thicken, but now its been in the jar about a week it seems to be getting goopy as far as I can tell by turning the jar upside down. Had a minor panic with the cherries as I went to rotate them and found juice all over one of the jars. I paniced thinking the jar had split. Turns out I hadnt wiped it down properly and it was just excess juice from the bottling process.

This weekend I am attempting plum relish, along with my traditional Hot Cross Buns which I always make on Easter Thursday. Am watching my Eva rose like a hawk to get the hips to make Rose Hip and Honey Syrup - though I suspect its still a few weeks away and I need 4 pounds worth of rose hips...thats like almost 2 kgs. So it will be a few more weeks before the hips are ripe and I can get to it....until then I keep writing my thesis. Current aim is to have a completed draft by June - then have 2 months to "tweak" it and hand in late August/ early September....but we shall see.

No comments: